In this article, we offer a template of the ALTA 13-06 Leasehold Endorsement – Owner’s Policy. Contact us today to request a free copy of our endorsement book to learn more about ALTA endorsements.
LEASEHOLD ENDORSEMENT – Owner’s Policy (ALTA 13-06) (Revised 4/2/2012)
- As used in this endorsement, the following terms shall mean:
- “Evicted” or “Eviction”: (a) the lawful deprivation, in whole or in part, of the right of possession insured by this policy, contrary to the terms of the Lease or (b) the lawful prevention of the use of the Land or the Tenant Leasehold Improvements for the purposes permitted by the Lease, in either case as a result of a matter covered by this policy.
- “Lease”: the lease described in Schedule A.
- “Leasehold Estate”: the right of possession granted in the Lease for the Lease Term.
- “Lease Term”: the duration of the Leasehold Estate, as set forth in the Lease, including any renewal or extended term if a valid option to renew or extend is contained in the Lease.
- “Personal Property”: property, in which and to the extent the Insured has rights, located on or affixed to the Land on or after Date of Policy that by law does not constitute real property because (i) of its character and manner of attachment to the Land and (ii) the property can be severed from the Land without causing material damage to the property or to the Land.
- “Remaining Lease Term”: the portion of the Lease Term remaining after the Insured has been Evicted.
- “Tenant Leasehold Improvements”: Those improvements, in which and to the extent the Insured has rights, including landscaping, required or permitted to be built on the Land by the Lease that have been built at the Insured’s expense or in which the Insured has an interest greater than the right to possession during the Lease Term.
- Valuation of Estate or Interest Insured:
If in computing loss or damage it becomes necessary to value the Title, or any portion of it, as the result of an Eviction of the Insured, then, as to that portion of the Land from which the Insured is Evicted, that value shall consist of the value for the Remaining Lease Term of the Leasehold Estate and any Tenant Leasehold Improvements existing on the date of the Eviction. The Insured Claimant shall have the right to have the Leasehold Estate and the Tenant Leasehold Improvements affected by a defect insured against by the policy valued either as a whole or separately. In either event, this determination of value shall take into account rent no longer required to be paid for the Remaining Lease Term.
- Additional items of loss covered by this endorsement:
If the Insured is Evicted, the following items of loss, if applicable to that portion of the Land from which the Insured is Evicted shall be included, without duplication, in computing loss or damage incurred by the Insured, but not to the extent that the same are included in the valuation of the Title determined pursuant to Section 2 of this endorsement, any other endorsement to the policy, or Section 8(a)(ii) of the Conditions:
- The reasonable cost of (i) removing and relocating any Personal Property that the Insured has the right to remove and relocate, situated on the Land at the time of Eviction, (ii) transportation of that Personal Property for the initial one hundred miles incurred in connection with the relocation, (iii) repairing the Personal Property damaged by reason of the removal and relocation, and (iv) restoring the Land to the extent damaged as a result of the removal and relocation of the Personal Property and required of the Insured solely because of the Eviction.
- Rent or damages for use and occupancy of the Land prior to the Eviction that the Insured as owner of the Leasehold Estate may be obligated to pay to any person having paramount title to that of the lessor in the Lease.
- The amount of rent that, by the terms of the Lease, the Insured must continue to pay to the lessor after Eviction with respect to the portion of the Leasehold Estate and Tenant Leasehold Improvements from which the Insured has been Evicted.
- The fair market value, at the time of the Eviction, of the estate or interest of the Insured in any lease or sublease permitted by the Lease and made by the Insured as lessor of all or part of the Leasehold Estate or the Tenant Leasehold Improvements.
- Damages caused by the Eviction that the Insured is obligated to pay to lessees or sublessees on account of the breach of any lease or sublease permitted by the Lease and made by the Insured as lessor of all or part of the Leasehold Estate or the Tenant Leasehold Improvements.
- The reasonable cost to obtain land use, zoning, building and occupancy permits, architectural and engineering services and environmental testing and reviews for a replacement leasehold reasonably equivalent to the Leasehold Estate.
- If Tenant Leasehold Improvements are not substantially completed at the time of Eviction, the actual cost incurred by the Insured, less the salvage value, for the Tenant Leasehold Improvements up to the time of Eviction. Those costs include costs incurred to obtain land use, zoning, building and occupancy permits, architectural and engineering services, construction management services, environmental testing and reviews, and landscaping.
- This endorsement does not insure against loss, damage or costs of remediation (and the Company will not pay costs, attorneys’ fees or expenses) resulting from environmental damage or contamination.
This endorsement is issued as part of the policy. Except as it expressly states, it does not (i) modify any of the terms and provisions of the policy, (ii) modify any prior endorsements, (iii) extend the Date of Policy, or (iv) increase the Amount of Insurance. To the extent a provision of the policy or a previous endorsement is inconsistent with an express provision of this endorsement, this endorsement controls. Otherwise, this endorsement is subject to all of the terms and provisions of the policy and of any prior endorsements.